Something to laugh at

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Mr. Ross

I must confess, I was about to write the most boring blog in history… something about working in hell and what not.

But my outlook has changed really quickly. I got a surprise visit from my field co-ordinator today. He was one of those people with such a presence about them. He was silvery grey, full bearded and had a pair of really kind eyes; someone you can immediately get along with. In fact, he kinda reminded me of King Lear or Prospero from The Tempest… well, someone of significant Shakespearean importance. And there he was!! His majesty!! Riding side by side with me, going to the vigorous battle of yonder coop!!

He gave some great advice on talking to employers and coop reports. I regret not writing any down, but hope it’s tucked away somewhere. He also told me my marks were good, thought that was pretty funny, and that the nominal value of our marks is not as important as how satisfied we are of them. Someone who studies all the time probably won’t be satisfied with just an A… We are not living our lives as mere students, but a part of a team, community, family, or the other half of a loving relationship J. If we spent all our time with our books, we’d be robbing ourselves of the awesome years when the attractive and delightful individualities are at a peak. Well it won’t happen to me!! I vow to not study too hard from now on!!... who am I kidding? I do go to UW after all.

Mr. Ross (his name is Mr. Ross btw) often recommend over stressed students to take a year off mid-degree or after graduation. But it’s those same kinds of people that unnervingly strive hard for achievement, who will dive into that whole hustle of the full time job without delay. Their focus and drive is admirable. But that’s the problem with too much of it… you lose sight of the big picture. “A little time out can prove to be an eye-opener; lift your spirits and let some light in!” he said. He’s right about that… awesome guy. We chatted for an hour about who knows what. But I really appreciated his guidance. I wasn’t completely in the dark yet… but he sure opened a window for me just in time. Things are looking brighter.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

Glad things are looking brighter for you :) *hugs & kisses*

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks jill, you're the swellest :)

yeah... I wrote that really late last night... just went on and on didn't I?

I guess from 11:00pm - 12:00am is my demented reflection period... I'll try to write lighter form now on

10:57 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

Lou Lou Lou...you're the swellerest ;)

No worries about needing to write lighter...write what you want. I'll still read it ;) But I'm glad he gave you some insight, and you're looking more positively.

*hugs* Lookin forward to seeing you this weekend! And next weekend! WAHOO! 2 weeks in a row with the Lou-Meister! *happy dance*

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lou,

...

Bye Lou :)

- Faraz

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love people like that. On my first work term, this one lady told me that I should buy a saxophone and take it with me wherever I go.

6:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home