Something to laugh at

Friday, April 21, 2006

Triannual thaw process

The last 24hrs have been about new company. A coworker invited me out for some grub at a place called Cheers; yes, everybody there did know his name. I found myself at the bar with no one but middle aged men drinking one beer after another while scantily clad but sweet bar tenders diligently waited on them and took their drunk mumbling and spats. When they calmed down, we all talked about the Guess Who’s who were playing on TV at the time and fishing. It was definitely odd company for me, and I would not expect to find myself in such a place again for many years, but it was a grand ol’time and something I will look back on.

I took a drive during lunch with the tic-tac-toe guy. We drove through some great landscape in Fleetsville. It was mountainous cultivated farm land with apple orchards, grape vines and crop fields, each occupying a mound of land. Accelerating through the hills in a Mercedes “Kompressor”, it felt just like Germany haha.

So here lies the irony of the situation. It takes a while to adjust to a new place, usually about the same time climate starts to change, people seem more welcoming and your attitude thaws out. But as soon as this happens, it’s time to pack up and go.
If I were thinking clearly, I wouldn’t have it any other way. So why does it have to be partially cloudy today?!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

I read this post last week, but haven't really been able to figure out what to say till now.

Change: that's what UW co-op seems to be about. Every 4 months, we move, we meet new people, we say goodbye to others.

A lot of the time, the people at school - you keep in touch with the important ones over the work term. The work people, it's a bit harder, for you may never see them again. Some you might keep in contact with, some you might not. But life is an experience - new things, new people, all the time. Take the time to learn from these things, and treasure the happy memories hun.

I'm also sort of feeling the same way - just as I started to actually like work, I have to leave. I'm saddened to leave some of the people I work with, and saddened that I didn't get to know some of them better. I'm also especially saddened to leave Rob & Katie (who I'm living with) - they were awesome to live with. I think the first time that by the end of the term, I haven't grumbled to myself over the housemates. Yet at the same time, I'm so excited to return to Waterloo, to see everyone again on a regular basis. There are some people that I've kept in a lot of contact with, and some that I've barely talked to. But I definitely look forward to that.

Take care Lou, and enjoy your last few days in Welland. And I'll see you next week sometime!

6:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home